Hello Everyone, Zo here! I hope you’re all well.
The recipe I am posting today was made out of pure laziness. I really wanted to make Laura Vitale’s Amazing Boston Cream Cupcakes but I didn’t want to go through the hassle of making 12 individual cupcakes so I just made one big cake.
Both the cupcakes and the cake were amazing. I have made them both before and I am in love with them. You all should check out this recipe and try out the cupcakes or cake. You will not be disappointed.
I love Boston Cream doughnuts, so when I had to make a dessert for a party I was attending is was no brainer as to what to make. Which reminds me, the lovely Laura Vitale also has a Boston Cream Doughnut recipe (which is amazing! i’ve tried it before too x_x) so check that out while you’re at it.
Before I get onto the recipe, I do hope you all try out either this cake recipe or the cupcakes and let us know what you think. Also, if you don’t know who Laura Vitale is, please please check her out. A lot of our cooking inspiration comes from her. She’s lovely and I’m pretty sure she’s made everything you can think of, she’s basically a wizard.
Bye for now, talk soon,
Boston Cream Cake.
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla paste or extract
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 Tbsp of All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Paste or 1 Envelope of Vanillina
- Small Pinch of Salt
- 4 ounces of Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/3 cup of Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp of Butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/8 tsp of Salt
To make the filling:
- Place your custard over medium heat and cook it, stirring the whole time until the custard thickens. Strain it through a fine sieve into a bowl, cover the custard with plastic wrap (make sure the plastic wrap is touching the custard) and pop it in the fridge completely.To make the cake:
- Add all your custard ingredients in a large saucepan and with the heat turned off, whisk them all together to combine.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, spray a nonstick 8×3 cake pan well with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the sugar and butter. Add the vanilla and eggs and cream together until you get a smooth mixture. Add the dry ingredients and with the speed on low, mix together slowly adding the milk and mix everything to combine. DO NOT OVERMIX! Make sure you give everything a good stir with a spatula from the bottom to incorporate any bit that wasn’t mixed.
- Scoop the batter into your pan and hit pan against counter to get rid of any air bubbles. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes and let cool completely before filling.To make the Ganache:
- Heat the cream in a small pan over medium heat until just below boiling point.
- Pour cream over chocolate chips and let sit for 1 minute. Add the softened butter and whisk the whole thing together until the chocolate has fully melted. Let it sit for a few minutes before frosting the cupcakes
- When everything is ready to be assembled, cut the cake horizontally, spread the entirety of the custard evenly on one half of the cake, place other half on top and spoon over the ganache.
- Let ganache cool and settle, then ENJOY! x